Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cowls

A few weeks ago I picked up a skein of Noro Nadeshiko at Wolseley Wools. I was going to make another "Identical But Not the Same" cowl, until I realized it wasn't bulky enough. Time for yet another new cowl pattern. I was on a roll this winter it seems. I'm normally not a cowl-person, or at least I don't think of myself as one, but upon some Rav-project reflection (of my own projects) I see I've knit a few over the years. I just happen to only own one of them. Yes, the cowl may be one of the knitter's most reliable, quick gift ideas. A little fancy yarn and a few minutes (couple hours) is all you need. It certainly helped me out this winter with gift giving.


I call this the "Really Want You In My World" cowl. It's a simple and quick knit in a "step by step" stitch pattern.
Get it?
Well, the gift recipient will.



I love how the stitch pattern creates another soft, squishable cowl.  Not as squishy as the SquishaCowl, but the Noro makes up for that.


Earlier in the winter I whipped up a trio of IdentiCowls with stash yarn.  They are "identical but not the same" using the same basic stitch pattern in different yarn weights (and some other small differences in the pattern to account for those differences).

Super Bulky and Aran/Heavy worsted are my favourites as they're the quickest to knit up.



I confess this light worsted/DK was frogged because I hated the yarn - the colour and feel of it.  I only persevered for the sake of testing the pattern in a lighter weight.
I am currently working on a few more IdentiCowls in Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick sized down for youths.

The first cowl design of the winter was actually my SquishaCowl design.  The mock-up was a child-sized cowl with a horrid seam, but the 'real' version appears seamless. (Only appears so, yes there is seaming.)  I was using up stash leftovers for it, but I think the two yarns go well and the gift recipient loves it.  It turned out she had just bought herself a new, red coat and this is the perfect winter accessory for it.  Funnily enough, she had bought a turtle necklace for me, which just happens to match the green-blue yarn - so I had to photograph them together before I packaged up her gift.


That turtle is bigger than it looks. I call it my Turtle Bling.  It's so big and shiny that I actually like the crazy thing. The matching earrings are much smaller and less "bling-y".

No comments:

Post a Comment