Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reversible

I love reversible stitch patterns.  I recently designed a stole * that is fully reversible so that the wearer need not wonder which is the "right" side - because I've noticed that many of my loving, well-meaning family members (who are deserving of hand-knits) still do not know the difference between a knit and a purl when looking at lace (or stockinette).

Thus I had high hopes for this book when I saw it on the library shelf.
Reversible Knitting by Lynne Barr more than met my expectations and is now on my must-have-for-personal-library list.  It wasn't quite the form of reversibility that I was expecting.  This is more "it also looks interesting on the back side" type of reversibility for the most part, which is fine. I was expecting it would be more like reversible cables. However, what Barr has done with her new stitches her is even more fun than that.  She utilizes many different techniques, knits in multiple directions, works in multiple colours (double knitting, slipped sts, etc), even develops faux-crochet stitches.  There is some seriously cool stuff in here to challenge a knitter like me who loves new things.

* The Corey Stole is still in testing phase and I do not have great photos of it, but the bride did wear it on her wedding day so I know there will be some great wedding shots of it worn like a scarf.  I desperately need a new camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment